These delicious cheese sablés are a delight to bake as they give off a divine aroma. And then, once baked, these cheese biscuits taste amazing. So it's a win-win at all stages of the baking process!
Selecting the best butter and cheeses will make a big difference to the quality of the cheese sablés. Choose extra mature cheddar (ideally up to or over 18 months), creamy Irish butter, and equally mature Parmesan Cheese.
Our tips for baking these cheese sablés
- Use a rolling pin to roll the mixture to a 2.5mm (⅒-inch) thickness. Here are some tips on rolling and cutting out cheese sablés:
- Keep your work surface and rolling pin dusted with flour.
- Between each cheese sablé, rub the cutting edge of your cutter in a little flour.
- Press firmly when cutting out the cheese sablés. Don't twist the cutter as the shape will get distorted.
- You can use the scraps to reroll and cut more cheese sablés.
Cheese Sablés Recipe
A twist on the classic French butter biscuit, these savoury cheese sablés use a generous proportion of cheese and butter. You will love making these as they give off a divine aroma during baking.
- 135g (4 ¾ oz) chilled salted butter
- 370g (13 oz) grated mature cheddar cheese
- 85g (3 oz) grated parmesan cheese
- 370g (1 ½ cups) plain flour
- 3g (½ tsp) garlic powder
- 2g (½ tsp) mustard
- Pinch of sea salt
- Put the flour, salt, mustard, and garlic powder in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse again until the butter is in small pieces, six to eight 1-second pulses. Add the cheeses, pulse until the mixture just starts to come together. It's important to mix slowly at the start, then gradually increase mixing speed. You may need to pause mixing occasionally and scrape in the mixture from the sides.
- Allow mixture to rest for 20 minutes, to ensure it is pliable to roll (and not dry). You may need to gently mix again for a short period if the mixture is too dry to roll.
- Roll to a thickness of 2.5mm (⅒-inch) and cut in fluted circles.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes.
- Allow the tray to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling mesh.
Enjoy with a glass of milk, wine, beer, and as a nibble with your favourite dip.
Storage: Once cooled - place in an airtight container out of strong light. Keep in a cool area. Best to consume within 3 days.